Monday, December 19, 2011

"Twas the Night Before Christmas and...

I have no idea what to do!

For the first time in 36 years I do not have a pre-planned Christmas Eve.  David and I usually find ourselves with family, but since Christmas is on Sunday and we are a definite part of the Sunday program... well.  Just doesn't make sense to go anywhere till after the program. 

It's odd.  I have been looking forward to this time of our lives so much and now I find myself at a complete loss! What to do on Christmas Eve.

So.  What do you do?  Fun family traditions?  Non-traditions?

I'm considering options but I really don't want it to be a "stay at home and clean the house" type of Saturday.  I want something special, just not quite sure what will fit the niche.

Needless to say, your suggestions are more than welcome.

5 comments:

  1. SAME! We have nothing going on that night. We've always been a "go see the Christmas lights" and see what game was left under the tree, but I'm feeling restless with that.

    We're (well, I'M) thinking Chinese take out and a movie. But...I feel we should do SOMETHING else. Out to dinner? Take out? Invite friends (AHEM) over for a movie and popcorn? I just don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have always done a really nice Christmas Eve candle light dinner, we started this tradition when we were dating and never stopped. We have always spent Christmas Eve with just us and have carried this tradition on with our kids. The kids get so excited they are planning the menu a couple months out. For the last 5 years we have also included a few of our neighbors that we know are alone on Christmas eve. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't already, you could walk Historic Main Street and go see the Gingerbread Parade. That might be a during the day event though. (It gets colder at night.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're kind of in the same boat. This is the first time in 11 years that we'll have Christmas Eve at our own home with just us. MY family has always done a special candle lit Christmas Eve dinner and I'm kind of excited to carry that on. But other than that? Not sure?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm kind of used to not having family around lots, so it's normal for me. Going to the movies on Christmas is actually quite fun! Eating and sleeping are too!

    ReplyDelete