Thursday, May 8, 2008

Speaking of taking your breath away

Okay, so I think I have figured out why David and I haven't been blessed with children yet. I think it's me. I think that deep down inside, my body knows that should I become "with child", that means I would be required to have my blood drawn periodically.

"Big deal" you say! And I return with a hearty, "You bet your booty it's a big deal!" And here's why.

K, so I had to go into the women's center to have my blood sugar levels tested among other things. Having my blood drawn is quite the ordeal for me. It's not that I'm queasy about getting poked and watching that tube fill up with my blood, it's the number of times that I get poked. Here's how it goes.

First they try the right arm, the vein disappears and they say "that's odd" and then try the left arm. Same thing happens and they go for the vein on the backside of my right hand, followed by my left hand. And it's not as if they are gentle with me either. David actually came with me for moral support (and as it turns out physical support as well) and he said it looked like they were having a mini sword fight with something underneath my skin as they tried to find and keep a hold of my vein.

Really it was the 5th time that got me. They asked if I was okay, I told them before we started the ordeal that when I start to sweat that means I would pass out. I started to sweat with the 3rd poke but they kept on going. (I now have 3 nurses surrounding me considering whether or not to tackle me from both sides at once, perhaps they can sneak up on the vein and suck the blood out before it gets away). At the 5th poke I went out like a light (that's where David came in for physical support).

"Tragic!" you say, not really, when I pass out the pain stops. I really find it quite pleasant and relaxing... until they wake me up. I really hate it when they do that, it just makes me upset. The real tragedy is that they don't know if they were able to get enough blood to run the test!

That's the end of my story. As a reward for survival, I got a Jamba Juice... Raspberry.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Jamba Juice! I heard lifting weights make your viens more "blood draw friendly" - so bulk up my friend! I've had many an experience like that when I donated plasma up in logan, they would actually go THROUGH my viens... horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lora,

    The not so fun joys of blood tests. Ia m sorry you are going through all that. Its no fun. I knew I had gone too many times when tehy would all call me by my first name and we got to know each other. That is sad. But when you go 4 times a month, all within 2 weeks, for 1 1/2 years that is going to happen! Good luck, may you never have to go back again. Oh PS, make sure your slippers are touching under the bed, That is what MANY people told us. That is for sure to make it happen. HA! We bought slippers and they were on top of each other/touching/any way they could and you see where that got us! Good luck, I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I guess being a phlabotomist is out of your career choices. ;)

    ReplyDelete