Sunday, August 10, 2008

Breaking Dawn (Spoiler Alert!)

As many of you know, I recently finished reading Breaking Dawn the anxiously awaited final book in Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. I picked up the book with anticipation and curiosity. I am well aware that this is not the greatest series ever written and in fact can be compared to great literature the same way that "American Idol" could be compared to great television. It's just not in the same class. But I do enjoy a good story. I'm a rather forgiving reader actually. If the story manages to catch my attention and keep me interested, then I don't consider it a waste of my time.

My personal preferences in "literature" vary greatly. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a book that changes my outlook on life, expands my horizons and almost forces me to look at the world through different eyes. Those are the books that get into my soul.

Then there are the books that help me run away from my own life and transport me into a different world. A world where magic exists and the impossible is possible. These are the books that I turn to for a good escape from reality. It is this second category that Breaking Dawn falls into. I wasn't looking for deep meaning or literary greatness, just a "take me away" book.

When I picked it up last Sunday it started out much the same as the other three. It felt repetitious in some ways, ie. beautiful Edward, awkward Bella, excited Alice and a big wedding. It moved the plot along but it was nothing new. As the book progressed, it became evident that this would be different. In fact, I found the story rather intriguing and always read much more at a sitting than intended. I felt a progression in Meyer's writing that I was sure would make some of the teenage infatuation of the first three books worth every page. More of the vampire world was opened up just begging to be looked at. In the last 100-150 pages we are introduced to new characters as conflict between the ruling Volturi and the Cullen family heat up. Preparations begin for a defining conflict where true justice would be served. Forces were gathered and the battlefield set and then... well it doesn't happen.

So much time is spent preparing to defend and fight for the rights of free will and agency and it is stopped with a word trap. My first reaction was disbelief followed closely with thoughts that Meyer was being incredibly self-indulgent. Bella doesn't have to loose anything in her life, she gets Edward, she gets Jacob (that's a plot twist that I certainly won't give away), she gets her vampire family as well as Charlie in her life. And she gets immortality. We all like a happy ending, but I felt that this ending was too happy. Too happy to be believable. I can only suspend reality so far. I felt that the characters were denied a chance to learn something of life themselves. Perhaps I just rather crave violence but I longed for a more conclusive ending for the Volturi. Too may loose ends were left loose. The book could have been great, it certainly had the components, it just ended poorly. There were questions left unanswered and mysteries left unexplained about Bella herself.

Did I enjoy the book? Yes. Was it great literature? No. Am I glad I read it? Sure, why not. It did keep my attention. It will still hold a place on my bookshelf (and look great because I like the cover art) though not as deeply in my heart. Perhaps someday I will read them again and come to a new appreciation for the ending that so disappoints me now. So, take that for what you will. Finish the series and enjoy it for what it is, just don't expect greatness.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard / read similar thoughts all over the place; that Meyer just sold everyone short on the ending. Sigh. I was really hoping she'd grown up in her writing. Even if just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I have ever heard Stephenie Meyer talk about the books, she has hinted to a happy ending, so I wasn't surprised. I liked it a lot and I didn't really care that nothing really happened because I didn't want anyone to die and if there had been a fight, it would have been unavoidable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - we need to schedule a play date sometime when you have the time! Some Sunday night do you guys want to come over for games?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to disagree with you Lora sorry! i guess i'm just a sucker for HAPPY endings...and well that's what i got...i dont know what i would do if someone died....

    ReplyDelete