Sunday, August 3, 2008

Vampires and Primary Songs

Have you ever had one of those days where you are just off? The kind where all the functions that you never really had to think about become almost more than you can handle? Like deciding what to eat and how to put one foot in front of another? Today was one of those days.

It started with the inability to get up and get to church on time. We live 1/2 a block from the church house and it has always burned on my consciousness that the majority of our Sundays we are unable to make it in time to find a good seat and listen to the prelude. Instead we are running through the door as a member of the bishopric starts making the announcements. They see us, smile knowingly, and keep going. Truly it brings more notice to us that I am comfortable with. One day our "high visibility" is going to catch up with us and we are going to be asked to speak. Of course they will take bets on whether we show up on time. (So far our only safety net is that the first counselor is our landlord and we made it clear that the new carpet in our house is safe as long as we don't have to speak in church. He laughed then but I'm pretty sure the "idle threat" worked. We have nothing on the other two though... so far.)
Still, it's more annoying that we can't seem to make it on time for Fast Sunday when we have a whole meal taken out of the routine.

Next on the list was Primary. For some reason all of the songs that I know backwards and forwards became foreign to my fingers. Was it the presence of a new primary presidency? The new teachers we seem to have every week? Or just my brain letting me know that I can never relax for even five minutes or it will sabotage me unmercifully. I fumbled through Keep the Commandments like I had never played it before and a book fell and hit the keys twice. The kids laughed and I'm sure the Presidency wondered how I got the job. "Clearly it's a 'growing' position for her," they'll say as they consider my replacement.

Last but not least, I gave in to my not-so-secret desire to read 'mindless drivel', as some would term it, and I started reading the new Stephanie Meyer's book "Breaking Dawn". After a couple of chapters I opted to take a nap and found myself in one of those naps where all sorts of weird things happen and even make sense as long as I'm asleep. I dreamed of vampire children fraternizing with characters from the Lion King intermingled with my parents back yard swimming pool. I slept for an hour and a half and had to use all of my will power and reserve strength to get back out of bed lest I sleep too long rendering a good nights sleep later on tonight impossible. I am still in the funk and thought I would share.

This just proves that I too can write mindless drivel, I will just never get paid for it. Perhaps I need an oh-so-mysterious character to tie things together and incite a twisted kind of love interest. hmm... I wonder what my husband would think if he suddenly became a misunderstood zombie who just needed more affection to break the spell. Would I help him or would he trap me into joining his nights of endless wandering... dun dun dun dun.
Hope you all have a better Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. I've had those days when I wonder if I ever took lessons. I usually lay on the keys during one of the Primary kids talks. Figure it keeps everyone awake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dream cracked me up.

    And for the record, I did buy Breaking Dawn. I will read it...eventually. Mindless drivel or not, I put my time in and will see it through to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not so sure about reading a vampire book where the evil creatures of the night "sparkle" in the sunlight... What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete