Friday, April 22, 2011

Change the Third

Today on my way home from the gymn, I saw a group of teenage boys crossing the street by Willow Park.  I took one look and thought "Egads! They still exist!"  Yep, the Skater crowd.

I don't know if that's what they are still called, but they have all the tell-tale signs that made them the Skater crowd when I was in High School.  In fact, I could probably pull out my yearbook and show them their look-a-likes and either really freak them out or confirm their coolness.  The all black clothes scattered with jeans with holes, the skateboards (of course) and let's not forget the attitude.  It was evident in the way they saw me coming in my car, looked me in the eye, and the continued to slowly make their way across the road.  I slowed down so as to give them plenty of time and still had to wonder if they were going to make me stop completely or go around their little group.  It was as if I didn't exist in their world, and in reality I don't. 

And then I got to thinking.  Sometimes that's a very dangerous thing, it can get you worried about your future and the future of your kids.  And then it hit me.  It hit me hard.  I live in Logan Utah!  I have no idea what high school is like here!  I grew up in small town USA where everyone knew everyone so as a teenager I couldn't get into too much trouble without my parents knowledge because everyone knew who my parents were and apparently their phone number as well.

In the world inside my head, my children would go to school and do some of the same things that I did.  Music, drama, failed attempts at drill team and sports in general.  And I would know how to handle it because I had "been there done that".  I would encourage them in whatever course they chose but it's only natural to have my own favorites.  And in that silly stupid head of mine I honestly pictured my children on stage in the Grace Performing Arts auditorium.  Safe.  Secure. 

But today I saw this faction of people that I have not seen in years, literally!  Why?  Because I have been in the working world of a full-time day job at a college with it's very own brand of stupidity.  I run errands in the evening and on weekends.  I forgot that there's a whole culture that exists outside of my little world.  A culture of kids who want to corrupt my children!

Now, for the record, I really have no idea who these kids were that I saw crossing the street.  I just knew who the kids were in my high school.  And I knew exactly what they were up to because I myself spent a brief time in their midst.  I refer to it as my "dark year".  It would have worked too but I didn't have any black sandals and my white ones just didn't look quite right with the black pants and black sleeveless T and black scrunchy.  (It's all about the details you know, I was even in brief possession of a skull ring.)  I know there's more than meets the eye both good and bad.  I also know that if I hadn't been taught the right things by parents, well let's just say my story would have turned out quite a bit different.

So, what is this Change the Third that I am making?  Well, I'm changing my mindset.  Stop living in the past as if my own stupidity is going to come back to haunt me in the form of my children dragging Main street in Soda Springs at 3 am.  Start looking around at the place that I live.  I live.  Here. Logan.  The town that I really do love with neighbors that I really do love.  This is progression.  I live here and my parents don't.  I am experiencing things that my parents never did.  Perhaps it took me so long to get this seemingly obvious epiphany because some of my high school teachers taught my parents and some of my high school literature books had their names in them as well.  But I don't live there do I.  I have a new life with new experiences that really are completely different from my parents.  And I am just fine with that.

On a side note though.  I still want you all to be able to recognize my children at a glance so you can report when they are doing something so incredibly stupid, or wrecking the car, or thing they are going out with some lame-o that just happens to be in the art class you teach... a well placed friendly phone call would be appreciated.  So for your benefit and mine, I have taken the liberty of digitally age-progressing my un-born and as yet un-conceived children so you know who you are looking for.





You're welcome.

12 comments:

  1. so often I wish for a like button on your blog posts! oh and by the way, your last kid got out of the house with that haircut! Just letting you know I've got your back on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, teenagers... whaddaydo? you should have seen it before the cut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, they're all doing sketchy things. And kids these days have it easy. We had to work hard to look like skaters - make our own black outfits with holes and safety pins, etc. They have multiple store chains that sell it to them pre-toughed. Lame, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is true, some of them did seem a little "crisp" looking. It's nice that people have a place to go to be non-conformists together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, your kids look so familiar... and so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh...that was my crowd. And here I was hoping that Sammy would follow THOSE footsteps...skater crowd, all black and moody. I can deal with that. But what if he wants to be (GASP!) a COWBOY? Oh, my...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tragedy comes in so many different forms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can my future children marry your children? They are some SERIOUSLY good looking kids :) When you've got great genetics, what can you do? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know! And yes, I'm totally up for uniting our families and taking over the world... isn't that how it works. Two families of awesomeness, can the world take that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. If that's how we're playing, I totally call dibs on the girl for Sammy...gotta keep him semi-local!

    ReplyDelete