Sunday, September 28, 2008

The coolness of me...

So, there aren't many people in this world who realize just how cool I am. Seriously. Let me illustrate.

Friday I was having lunch up in the Skyroom with friends and co-workers. We were sitting there chatting and having a good old time when Brother Sampson walked past. Brother Sampson is my institute teacher and friend. When I was in the 6th Stake (singles stake) back in the day, he was in the Stake Presidency and I was in the Stake Relief Society Presidency and we had a chance to get to know each other. It's really fun having him as a teacher. He often jokes about how we grew up in the 6th Stake together, after which people turn around, look at me, and wonder just how old I am. Anyway, I digress... Brother Sampson was having lunch with a group of people also. He saw me, stopped and turned to his guest and said, "there is someone I want you to meet." He brought them to my table and said, "Lora, this is Virginia." I responded with a nice to meet you and a handshake. Brother Sampson related how he knew me. She was very cordial and we smiled at each other. I, being less than observant almost asked if she was the secretary at the Institute or something like that because I couldn't figure out what was so special that I was to meet her. I fortunately did not say any such thing, but just made a bit of small talk. They left, I sat down and began wondering what was so special about this "Virginia" person... then comprehension dawned on me.

Friday is the day that they have Devotionals in the cultural hall of the institute. Brother Sampson is the one who invites the speakers and subsequently takes them to lunch before they leave. That particular Friday the special guest speaker was Virginia Pearce, President Hinkley's daughter. I can't tell you how relieved I was that me and my sparkling whit didn't ask if she was the new secretary and how she liked working there!!! See, I told you I was cool!

3 comments:

  1. You never seize to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me to tell you of the time I nearly bit L. Tom Perry's head off. I'm so going to hell...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tawnya, I can hardly wait for that story!

    ReplyDelete