Friday, March 25, 2011

My Mother Always Did Her Hair

Yesterday I didn't feel well... at all.  It came quickly and sapped all of my energy.  I did nothing but sleep, read, and watch episode after episode of Ugly Betty.

During this day I occasionally passed something reflective and got a look at myself... and then shuddered.  I looked awful.  I was wearing an over-sized 80s style sweater; turquoise in color, length went past my bottom side, and the collar was one of those that can either be stretched over the shoulders or left as a drape of sorts down the front.  Oh and a John Deere hat.  The hat was because I had to pick up David after we dropped of one of the vehicles at the mechanics.  My point is that I had no make up on and my hair resembled the nest of some creature and natural light was not my friend. At all.

As I walked passed the hallway mirror once again I thought of my mother.  During our girls weekend she mentioned how she always made it a point to do her hair and make-up at some point during the day whether she had plans or not.  Why?  Two reasons. 

1.  You never know who's going to show up at your door, be in the Stake President, the neighbor, or the Fish and Game officer and it's always best to be prepared.

2.  She did it for herself.  She knew she looked better with a "coat of paint" so to speak and she didn't like the way she looked without it.

It was number 2 that I thought about yesterday.  Probably because the natural light and the frizz that was my hair and the jaw line that is less than defined all combined yesterday to reveal a pale sheet of blechk that was me.

I'm feeling better today.  I will shower.  I will do my hair.  I will find my jawline and accentuate the positive. And the answer to the question that I asked so long ago of whether or not I will wear make-up regardless of what the day brings (aside from illness of course) is a resounding yes.  The main reason being that I don't want to shudder as I walk by the mirror.

Have a lovely weekend.

4 comments:

  1. My mom says the exact same thing! I on the other hand, will say that I almost do it everyday some days there is just no need to get ready! Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly enough yesterday afternoon my parents stopped by unannounced. I thought it was kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean. Number 2 is why I shave my legs on a regular basis even during winter when no one will see them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with the main point of your rant... but more importantly, don't you love ugly betty?!

    ReplyDelete