Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Need for a Good Read

I have recently come to understand that I need books. I've always suspected it was so, but not so much as now. For as long as I can remember I have always had a book to read. Whether it was for college of for personal pleasure, I've always been involved in one story or another until recently.

A few weeks ago I finished the third book in the Twilight series which I loved. It really is a chick book with a silly little romance between a teenage girl and a vampire, but I couldn't put the dang thing down. Actually I am anxiously awaiting the 4th book in the series due to come out this Fall. I feel a little silly with this confession, but I can't seem to help it.

Meanwhile, I have been without a good book to sink my teeth into. My old standbys of World War II stories, journals, and other stuff have even failed me. I have looked at the volumes on my shelves and found no interest. It has been quite discouraging. It's worse when you go to the library because there are shelves and shelves of books and one hardly knows where to start! I'm sure we've all had the this-looked-good-on-the-shelf-but-now-that-I've-read-it-I-feel-I've-wasted-a-good-portion-of-my-life-on-something-stupid experience at some point in life. If you haven't consider yourself lucky. It's a drag. I really don't want to repeat it.

So, I've been on my third week of no good books and I just couldn't take it anymore. So, today I braved the vast amounts of shelving in the Logan Library (okay, that's vast compared to some libraries I've been acquainted with in my day, remember I come from Grace Idaho) and picked out a sure to be good book.

In all my days of reading I have yet to read a Jane Austen book. I've seen the movies and heard other people gasp many a time at my lack of "literary experience" so I have capitulated. I picked up a copy of "Persuasion" today. I'll let you know how it is. Just in case, I also picked up a copy of "Going Postal" as well as "Carpe Jugulum" by Terry Pratchett. At least somewhere in this I'm sure to get a good laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Persuasion is my absolute favorite Austen book. So good. (and I'm overlooking the "never read Austen" comment!)

    ReplyDelete