Monday, June 9, 2008

Do I Recommend it?

Today I finished reading "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. I have had the book recommended to me several times and I finally got my hands on a copy, thanks to my brother-in-law. Overall, I really enjoyed the book. Like the back cover says:

"Parts of The Kite Runner are raw and excruciating to read, yet the book in its entirety is lovingly written."

I couldn't agree more. It's definitely not light reading. It's a book that makes you think about the world around you and how much you really don't know... and how privileged we really are. The book takes place in Afghanistan when Russia took over and is followed by it's overthrow by the Taliban and the effect it had on the country and the people. I found it interesting that when the Taliban first came to Afghanistan they were praised as saviors and liberators. It didn't take long for the opinion to change as the people were more and more oppressed.

It's an interesting and informative read. I had trouble putting it down. So yes, I recommend it, just don't expect many warm fuzzies.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh! I still haven't finished it! Man. Can I rent out a toddler in order to read or is that generally frowned upon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. Just be sure to list it as community service and you'll be fine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you got through the book, I watched the movie and it was emotional enough for me. Either way it makes you think.

    ReplyDelete