Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Productivity

So I took today off. My intentions were to catch up on all the little errands that needed to be taken care of as well as have some down time for myself. So, I got up this morning and exercised, got a hair cut, got the rock chips fixed on the windshield of our car and had it safety inspected, then headed home to start on the house. And what have I done in the house? Not a dang thing. Well, I take that back, I did clean out the fridge because there was a salad that kept on reaching for me whenever I opened the door. It was time. But after that... nothing.

I truly had so much ambition when I was planning the day. I was going to find some of my long lost flower beds, shampoo the carpets, reorganize my stuff in the den, wash the bedding, catch up on letters, set-up visiting teaching appointments and drop my and see people that I have lost touch with for a bit. Yeah, I know, can we say too much stuff. Perhaps that's why I have become lethargic for the time being. When I look at the list, rather than getting up and starting on it I feel completely overwhelmed. The irony of this is that I was the one making the list.

I find I do this in all aspects of my life. I expect so much more from myself than I am capable of giving. I feel like I can do it all, when in reality I just can't. Perhaps there are those out there who can, and if so... well, I was going to say share your secrets with me, but frankly that's scary. Perhaps ignorance is bliss. At least this way I can look at the list and tell it to take a hike while I casually write my thoughts and frustrations out in this blog.

May your day be just as productive.

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally the same way. My lists for Isaac's days off are...scary. And we're lucky if 1/4 gets done! Still. You did a lot. I think some relaxation was called for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quiet, do nothing days. Wish I had a few more of them!

    ReplyDelete