Thursday, July 10, 2008

Vanity and Prejudice...

I finished "Pride and Prejudice" and I must say that I liked it much much much better than "Mansfield Park". Of course I'm not sure if I liked it more because I am familiar with the story or because the people were prettier. You see, I watched a version of "Persuasion" after having read the book. In the story there is a sister who is supposed to be a reputed beauty. Perhaps it's my shallow nature coming through, but my ability to willfully suspend reality in order to enjoy the movie was hindered by the fact that the actors were so very unattractive. It took me half way through the movie to reconcile the fact that they weren't going to look any better regardless of how hard I tried and I should stop trying to make them so. I did enjoy the story though.

With that in mind, the most recent version of "Pride and Prejudice" has Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen in it. Two very beautiful people. So, I either liked the book better because it was a better book, which is true, but my opinion may be swayed by the fact that characters in my mind were directly from the movie... enchanting.

4 comments:

  1. I just barely read pride and prejudice too! I loved it but I had a hard time following the dialogue sometimes but this is my first Jane Austin, I'm sure they are all like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated the new version of the film...I'm partial to the BBC / Colin Firth *yum* version...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that from other sources as well. I think that i saw that version like 500 years ago so really, the new version is the only one I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lora, this is sad that the only version on Pride and Prejudice is the new one. I agree with Tawnya the BBC characters are so much better. I watch this movie at least 2x a year, my favorite. Oh and yes it is at least 6 hours long.

    ReplyDelete