Thursday, November 20, 2008

Home sick... blechk.

So I got up this morning not really wanting to go to work. There was a task awaiting me that I really just wanted to skip all together. It was a luncheon that I truly had no interest in attending. It was made especially true by the fact that I found out upon arriving at work that I would actually be speaking at said luncheon. As you can imagine, I was thrilled. I joked about saying that I wasn't feeling all that well and would have to go home. Little did I know that my body would respond to the power of suggestion. I got sick! Fevery, nauseous, achy-body sick.

I've always suspected that my body has more power than I ever give it credit for. As I look back on life there are definite times when my body has been telling me something that I just wouldn't listen to. The most powerful example would have to be "the winter of Vaughn".

About 5 years ago I started dating a nice man named Vaughn. Well, dating is a strong term. I had actually just gotten completely out of a relationship that was "on again, off again, what the crap is going on here anyways" for good. I felt so free! So happy! It was a two year span that had sucked quite a bit of life out of me and I was happy to have it back. Well, the next day Vaughn asked me to play games with he and his roommates. At first I declined because I wasn't really attracted to him, but after some persistence on his part, I thought why not, what have you got to loose? and I went. It was a nice enough time and that was that. Well, he asked me out again, and I kind of just went with the flow. I don't know what it was about my sole-sucking relationship with he-who-must-not-be-named, but it had turned part of my brain to mush. Fortunately, my body wasn't that stupid.

As the relationship went on, he thought he wanted to marry me. I said that was nice, but didn't really do the commitment thing out loud. He wanted to look at rings, I wanted to throw up. (I really was an idiot huh!) He succeeded in getting me to go to one ring shop and look. I agreed against my better judgement and we went to Fred Meyer jewelers (which to this day gives me a nauseous feeling when I go by there) and looked very quickly at a few rings. Then we went to a ball game, back to his apt for a movie and I got sick. Not just a little, but the 'take me home now or your carpet's gonna regret this' sick. He said I could use his bathroom, I said I wanted to die in the comfort of my own bed. We made it to the corner of the block where he had to pull over while I opened the door and lost the lemon chicken we had had for dinner. Eeewww. I can't eat lemon chicken anymore either, or go by the street corner with out groaning.

As it turned out I got every strain of flu that could be had that winter (there were 5), two colds, and one severe case of strep throat. Then I broke up with him in February and made a miraculous recovery! I feel it important to mention that we started "dating" the end of November with a nice fat Christmas break in between. That's a lot of sick in a little time.

Now, I don't know if attending the luncheon today would really have been that bad, but I'm certainly not feeling any heartache over the matter... but I'm not feeling better either. Hmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Leads me to ask the question: are you prego?!!! Well, I guess this feeling is normal for you if you dated the guy that made you vomit for a solid couple of months...I'm not a barfer, but Claire sure decided to turn me into one...How are things in that department?

    you are quite the writer...LOL

    ReplyDelete