Saturday, December 6, 2008

A "Wicked" Review

So, I just finished reading "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire this morning. Overall I really enjoyed the book. I found the behind the scenes story of the Wicked Witch of the West fascinating. I've always loved the Wizard of Oz from the time I was a little girl. For some reason I remember it coming on either around my birthday (December) or my brother's birthday (March). I don't know if it jumped around or my memory did. (Just ask me what I remember about Jaws sometime.)

Anyway, the trip through Oz and the land that is seemed to be was very interesting from the witch's viewpoint. I found myself rooting for the "wicked witch" and hating Glinda! Now this is to say nothing harmful towards Frank Baum's original version because it is what it is and without it we wouldn't know what "lions and tigers and bears oh my" meant. Maguire simply took the story and fashioned his own around it, and it was delightful. I can't wait to read "Son of a Witch".

However, I feel it my duty to say that if you should pick up the book for a good read, when you get to the part about the "Philosophy Club" you can safely skip it. Kinda nasty and doesn't lend any light to the storyline. It was only 2-3 pages of the whole text so really, you aren't missing anything.

Other than that, it was great!

7 comments:

  1. I read it too and completely agree...I was even a little worried when Nick and I saw the musical, but it's nothing like the book... in fact, so much better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, uh, have never seen The Wizard of Oz. Ever. It's a little source of pride, now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I've heard the same from many a source.

    Tawyna, Never??! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never. It just...never came up. And then I went to college and realized how weird it was!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about reading that book a while ago and then someone told me it would probably be better to see the musical first. Have you seen the musical? After reading your post, I'm thinking of just going ahead and reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sophie, I haven't seen the musical although I have heard rave reviews about it from many sources. If it ever comes close we'll grab you guys and go!

    Tawyna, I don't feel nearly as bad as I used to for making it through college not having read Jane Austin. :)

    ReplyDelete