Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Survival.

Do you ever have those times when you feel you are at the end of your rope. There is just so much that needs to be done or dealt with that you a) can see no end in sight and b) can see no way out of it. Escape simply isn’t an option. You and you alone have to face the tasks that have been so graciously set upon your plate.

I have a few different ways that I deal with life at these times… or rather react at these times.

1- Auto Pilot. Like a wind up toy I just get up I the morning and keep on going. I find safety and comfort in routine. I try not to think about my list of things to do because then I will realize I’m walking along the edge of a cliff and if I may fall at any time. I just do it. I get things accomplished and by the end of the day things don’t look all that bad.

2- Analyzer. I prioritize. I take the list, dissect it and find out what is really important. I throw the lesser things out or push them to another time, another day. I find out what tasks upon completion would relieve the most stress.

3- Ostrich. I bury my head in the proverbial sand and hide from everything. I stay in bed. If I keep my eyes closed and lay in this safe warm place then things have to change right?

That is where I found myself this morning. As an Ostrich. The protective powers of the average blanket are amazing. They ward off monsters under the bed and the responsibilities of adulthood. But unlike monsters that go away with the coming of daylight, the responsibilities of adulthood stick around no matter how much light is in the room. In fact, sometimes they multiply.

Fortunately after ignoring the alarm clock for a bit longer than ever anticipated, I was able to get up and Auto Pilot kicked in. Life does go on and somehow we manage to keep going and even crack a smile every once in awhile. I am currently in my office, secretly wishing that Ostrich had taken a stronger hold and I was still in bed while writing this. But I am not. Like most of us hiding under the covers isn’t a luxury we can afford to have… at least not without some careful planning and scheduled time off. Is that what being adult is? Scheduling?

So, what do you do to get through the day? What helps you continue to put one foot in front of the other? Seriously, I want to know. I’m always on the lookout for more ideas to keep on going. If nothing else it makes me feel normal to know I’m not the only one that has these kind of days.

6 comments:

  1. This is redonkulous (See the movie Bolt if you don't know the word). I am having the exact same kind of day (week, month, season whatever). As an adult is it wrong to think, "hmm, if I hide here then nobody can bother me and I can just have a moment of peace?" Kids play hide and seek all the time. Why is it so wrong for adults to do it? Of course the peace only lasts until the nagging guilt of adult responsibilities comes barreling back in. "Found you! You're IT!"

    What do I do? Today I went to lds.org and watched their Mormon message on Hope. It helped. A little.

    Hope your day goes better.

    Word verification: "underse" perhaps the antonym of "rederse"-- wonder what "derse" could be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to blow things off. And then I make lists. LOTS of lists and prioritize. And then I feel calm again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie, your practical wisdom is a benefit to all. And you make me laugh and I love that.

    Tawyna, most of the time lists help. Sometimes they send me into a tailspin. I might actually just need more sleep... more chocolate?..

    Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take myself out of my day and remember who I'm doing things for, especially when it comes to going to work when I really, really don't want to. Right now I am the only source of income for my husband and me, and if I don't do it, bad things will happen.

    Perhaps it would help to think that you are doing things in preparation for your little one to arrive.

    My word is derses - I don't know what a derse is, but apparently there are many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In really heckish times, I just read. My house and family suffer a bit, but then at the end of the book I'm ready to face life again. Or at least I'm ready to pretend I'm ready to face life again. Don't worry, I'm a fast reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to read! It is by far my preferred method of escape.

    ReplyDelete