Tuesday, April 10, 2012

How Old do I Really Look?

Okay.  Give it to me straight.  Just how old do I really look?

How about now?

Okay, how about now?

No really.  I can totally handle it!

On Saturday I went grocery shopping.  The Saturday before Easter.  It was a mad house with everyone trying to get their Easter feast purchased in time for the actual event.

I was among the mad house.  It wasn't too bad though.  It's something that I've come to expect when grocery shopping on Saturdays.  However, that is not the point of this story.  That comes with the cashier.  And her friendliness.  And her eagerness to "bond" with me.

Sometimes eager cashiers get on my nerves.  Sometimes I just want to skip the conversation and just pay and get out.  This was an exception. I was in a good mood.  So the conversation went something like this:

Cashier: Did you find everything you were looking for?

Me: Sure did!

C: Have any fun plans this evening?

M: not really, just getting ready for Easter.

C: That sounds fun.  Do you still have children young enough to enjoy Easter?

My internal dialogue: Did she really just say that? Just how old does she think I am?  I only have a not even 2 month old child!  I'm only 36!  I'm barely old enough to have an.... 18-year old...  Huh.  I'm kind of old aren't I?  Not old old, just old enough to maybe not get offended when someone thinks that I'm not 21 anymore.  Or even 29.

My out loud response:  Nope!  In fact I only have 1 child and he's just barely 7 weeks. 

C: Oh. (pause) Not quite old enough to really get what's going on yet then.

M: Nope. But we are having some friends over for dinner though.

C: Well that will be fun.

M: It will!
C: Have a good evening.

M: You too.

My dear friends of the internet blogging and real life world. If I want people to think that I'm younger than I am, it may have nothing to do with my hairstyle or facial expressions...I better just carry my child with me!

How about now?

10 comments:

  1. A. OUCH!
    B. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...you look definitely 12. Of the boy variety. Oh, wait. That's just our conversations...
    C. BEN! Oooooh. How I love that boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is just because I know how I actually behave and just can't place myself in the appropriate age... you know because of the 12-year old boy conversation thing. :)

      Delete
    2. Right there with you, babe!

      Delete
  2. I hate chatty cashiers. If you are openly grouchy enough they don't try to engage you and therefore can't say things that make you want to punch them. That is my shopping advice for the day. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure at this particular place they are commanded to do it. Like they get knocked down on points or something because no matter how cold I am, cause let's face it sometimes I just do not have the umph to even pretend to care, they still try to make conversation. I wonder if they ever feel like telemarketers? Only with a trapped person. It's not like I can just leave my groceries and walk away. Hmm.

      Delete
  3. LOL! You crack me up. I think there are always insert foot in mouth comments that any one of us say....especially when you aren't part of the "norm". Next time you should say, yeah it will be hard having all of my kids gone, being an empty nester is sometimes not all its cracked up to be. Just because you don't look that old, and it would throw them off the other direction. I'm mean like that! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica! That's brilliant! Totally using that one!

      Delete
  4. Oh crap!!! I am just laughing so hard. I just love you, Lora, you are so FUN!! :) You pictures are so funny -- I am WAY too old and lame to post silly pictures of myself -- so you are definitely way younger than me.

    I cannot believe the cashier said that?!?!?! Weird? Were you at Smith's Marketplace by chance? I love the cashiers there, but there is one that just tries too hard and she always says weird stuff.

    Ben!!!! He is so ADORABLE and yes, I will be saying that FOREVER, because it's true.

    You know, I think the best way to keep cashiers from bugging you is to have strange items rolling down the little conveyor belt thingy.... um.... nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lora, I have had this happen to me. I was returning some clothing after one of our failed adoptions and the girl asked if they were for a grand baby. I was only 36 at the time and I cried through the whole store! I will never ask someone if the kids are their grand kids! Women are having babies in their 40's all the time now! I don't care if they look 60, I won't question!!!!! I think you look fabulous!!! And like a mother in love!

    ReplyDelete