Sunday, May 17, 2009

To infinity and beyond!

I don't know how many of you have had the privilege of being trapped in a genuine Sullivan family debate/argument/all-I'm-saying-is conversation, but boy oh boy have you missed out!

I recently had the privilege of being trapped in the car from Enterprise Utah to Hurricane Utah while one was taking place. It's about an hour drive and there's not much in the way of scenery to take the mind off of the conversation. My only escape was falling asleep. They are sometimes about the most pointless things ever too.

K, so not silly to them, but... So, Saturday was the day. We had just had the graveside service to lay Grandma Clove to rest. It was a beautiful sunny day, family was gathered, and for a funeral it was really quite an enjoyable day (all things considered). Then it happened. Ivan, the aspiring writer, has come up with an idea about a television series that he thinks would be good. It's largely based in science-fiction with some real world application. David, being the ever-practical man that he is, is gifted at finding even the slightest flaw in a theory and must make his point known. Ivan will defend his theory to the death. Normally not a bad thing... if the whole thing weren't based in technology that doesn't exist. The whole "science fiction" thing kind of makes it that way doesn't it? But don't worry, neither is to be deterred. Examples from Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica were even brought into play.

The next 45 minutes and beyond was filled with reasons why infinity exists or doesn't exist, traveling faster than light, massive amounts of energy being contained inside the human body with strategic reinforcements.... If I can borrow a phrase from Tawnya, seriously! I have a gift of being able to tune things out for a fairly large period of time and I actually made it with no serious feelings of hatred/die die die towards anyone in the car. We went out to eat and I thought that would be the end of it. Boy did I underestimate the stamina of Sullivan men to carry on a useless conversation with such passion. We got back into the car and it was as if there were no break. All I could think of was Toy Story: "To infinity and beyond!!" Too bad that was about the conversation and not flying into space. I would prefer the later.

8 comments:

  1. I kind of feel like I need to defend my honor here, but then I realize, what is the point. It won't change Lora's view of events, and it might just prove her point more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. next time you're in Hurricane and you need to escape one of those conversations (hopefully you'll have that option next time) you can come and see me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lora. This really made me laugh. If we had known you were about to have a one hour David/Ivan battle-star-trek-decathlon we would have let you ride with us.

    Whatever we talked about must not have been very memorable because neither Sophie or myself remember our conversation. We most likely drove in silence and smiled at the silly things Wells was doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is with David and Ivan's conversations? Weren't they talking about invisibility the night before? That's really sad that you were stuck in the car with no escape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David and Ivan... really don't know, but is always them! I guess it's one of David's little quirks that I love about him... to make fun of that is! Wha ha ha ha! Good thing he has a sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea you were stuck in the car with an eternal conversation going nowhere! What can I say?

    ReplyDelete