Tuesday, April 6, 2010

So, if April Showers Bring May Flowers then...

What does 6 inches of snow get ya?

As many of you have woken up to this winter wonderland with me, I just can't help but think there's got to be something really good in store to have us covered with snow for this long.  I'm pretty sure this is one of the bigger storms that we've received through-out the entire winter.  It's not exactly huge, but it is substantial.

I also can't help but be reminded of the 2nd grade.  My 2nd grade class to be exact.  I don't know why random things like this pop into my mind but because it's there I just have to share.

Throughout the year groups of kids had the priviledge of doing the back bulletin board it the classroom.  My group was assigned April.  I remember having this glorious vision of the bulletin board themed around April showers.  In my minds eye it was perfect.  Blue raindrops falling from the sky.  An oversized umbrella with a fluffly yellow duck taking shelter underneath.  The words folllowing the curvature of the umbrella "April Showers Bring May Flowers".  It was glorious, breathtaking even.  So much better than the paltry efforts of my other, less skilled classmates and their March rainbow with the pot of gold the previous month.

We went to work.  I was in charge of the rain drops.  I drew them, I cut them, I hung them.  Each child contributing their part.  I stood back to survey our efforts.  It was.... well, it was awful!  Why were the raindrops so jagged?  The words, they looked like a kindergartner had written them! Was the yellow blob with eyes a duck? 

It appears my mind's eye failed to take into account the 2nd grade skill set.

Enjoy this April Winter's day!

2 comments:

  1. you must have a much better skill set because if I were doing it, regardless of having second graders help, it would still look as if 2nd graders did it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but think of the Christmas story... A+ A+ A+....

    ReplyDelete